Saturday 2 February 2013

A dubious start to training...

You would think that with a bouncy 3 year old Labrador that I would already be reasonably fit - um, no!  The recent mud has discouraged me from venturing further afield recently so my exercise has consisted of pottering round the rugby field whilst throwing balls for Bailey to chase!

Last weekend I thought I should put more effort in given that I shall have to trek for up to 8 hours a day in the not too distant future.  I therefore intending follow the River Avon across the fields which is a walk I was doing regularly in the summer and only took an hour or so - a reasonable beginning?

Unfortunately, the mud was worse than I thought across the top field.  Discretion being the better part of valour I decided to go round the edge of the field rather than following the public footpath across the middle.

However, there was a large calf-deep puddle at one end of the field which I needed to go around.  10 paces into the field and that was it - irretrievably stuck!  I had sank in the mud to over my ankles.  I could just about lift one welly from the mud but that meant puttingall  my weight onto the other foot which sank further and further into the mud.  After about 10 minutes of laughing hysterically whilst pulling on my wellies, I realised there was nothing else for it.  I carefully lifted each foot out of its welly, removed the sock and rolled up my trousers then stepped into the mud.  I only just about managed to heave each welly out of the mud then squelched my way barefoot across the rest of the field!

Let's hope future walks let me come home cleaner than the dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment